Monday, June 22, 2009

Settling In

9:47 pm...

Sophie is asleep after we compromised a bedtime for her. She really is a smart girl. More people have come into Boulder. Most importantly, Stu Redman's group have shown up. I heard that Fran Goldsmith passed out at the reception desk in the Medical Center and Bobby Rittlemeyer, the nurse that was with them, had to put her on a gurney. I haven't had the time to meet them yet, even though I was planning on it. Sophie took up most of my time while Nick was on the outskirts of town. I'm teaching Sophie how to read Dr. Seuss books, and she's catching on very well. In the meantime, I'm becoming curious about Sophie's new boyfriend. His name is Kevin and Sophie is playing it very coy when it comes to him. Here's how our conversation went:

Me: So, do you want to tell me about Kevin?
Sophie: (shrugs) I dunno. Do you want to tell me about Nick?
Me: Sophie, I am the grown up and I can ask about Kevin if I want to.
Sophie: Okay.
Me: So, do you want to tell me about Kevin?
Sophie: No (in a singsong voice).

Since Sophie wasn't so forthcoming about her playmate, I took her for a walk and we ran into Kevin and his dads: Jim and Jason Barton. Kevin seems enamoured with my little freckle faced Sophie, and she seems to be into him as well. They are already holding hands. Whatever happened yesterday seemed to have made a big impression on them. I think that Sophie is watching my relationship with Nick and she thinks that it's something that she can do. I don't know if I should tell her that love is not that easy, but she's four years old. She should be able to have a fairy tale after the nightmare that she endured.

I was going to talk about how we're all settling in, but I'm way too tired. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment